The gates to the South Porch replaced the original ones which were stolen in 2006 by men pretending to be workmen. The Priest’s room above once served as a school room, boys were taught Latin before 1549 when the First English book of Common Prayer was authorised.
The empty niche above the south porch once held an image of St. Andrew. The church is dedicated to St Andrew because of the influence of St Gilbert of Sempringham whose great medieval monastery was only two miles away from here.
Both sides of the 14th century doorway have defaced shields. The left one bore the arms of the Earl of Chester whose family were connected with Gilbert de Grant who was Lord of the Manor in 1142. The right one bore the arms of the Barons de Beaumont who from 1307 to 1507 were Lords of the Manor.
Inside the church to the left is a stone staircase leading to the Priest’s Room complete
with a fire-
The 18th Century Font has a heavy baluster and a fluted bowl. Behind the font on the south wall stand the village stocks and whipping post which were provided by the church wardens in 1600 and put into the care of the village constable.
The Tower Door opens to 50 steps leading to the bell ringer’s room. There are six church bells, the oldest was cast in 1676. See history of bells, written by Alan Morris ).
The West Window with its four evangelists and four prophets was described as “one of the best modern specimens of glass staining” in 1858. It was designed by Hugh’s of London as a memorial to Edward Morris whose family lived in the village for over a century.
Folkingham has a fine 14th century church as it’s centrepiece and hope this brief guide will familiarise you with it.
Some new stonework was added to the parapet of the tower because in January 2007
severe gales blew down two pinnacles on the west side. This in turn caused a merlon
to fall through the back Vestry roof, and a merlon and a mid wall pinnacle to crash
through the roof on the south side, narrowly missing the Font. Fortunately no-