Folkingham, a small town and a parish in South Kesteven, Lincolnshire lies on the A 15 Peterborough to Lincoln Road and is 10½ South East of Grantham. It was originally a market town and meeting place which was mentioned in the Domesday book. The name Folkingham (Falkingham) is mentioned as Folchingham in the Domesday book which is probably derived from one of the early settlers . Gilbert de Grant, Earl of Leicester is said to have built a castle in the 12th century Which was enlarged in the 14th Century but this was later left to ruin and after the civil war it was eventually used as a ‘House of Correction. The Moat and Mound can still be seen on Billingborough road where the gate house of the House of Correction still stands being used by English Heritage as holiday accommodation. In the late 18th century Folkingham was a thriving market town and an important staging post on the route from London to Lincoln. The Greyhound Inn was one of 5 Inns in the village and was also used as the local assizes however when the railway came to Billingborough nearby,Folkingham began to decline.

In 1940 a World War II airfield was built to the south-west of the village which was used by the USAF transport command and later as a missile base. Folkingham's decline continued until it saw a revival when motor cars became more commonplace giving greater access to rural areas.

Local Landscape. Local Landscape 2. Ancient Hedgerows.