St. Andrew's Page 3
Home. Previous. Next.

Towards the organ is the North -west pillar and the Arch over the organ.  These are dated to 1180 , and  are the oldest parts of this Church.   The Organ was built in 1886 by Porritt of Leicester and was presented to the church by the daughter of Rev. Carter who was Rector from 1868-94.

The Organ has 720 pipes ranging from six inches to eight feet in length.

Cuthbert Edward Bradley who was a well known author and artist in the village was warden for forty three years.  His wife was organist for sixteen years, and his son was Tower Keeper for fifty three years.  Imagine one hundred and twelve years service to the church from one family.

Go forward to the Altar.  On the left there is a small Aumbry cupboard, which holds reserve sacrament for the sick, and on the right is a piscina where mass vessels were cleansed.  The Sedilia were reduced to two in 1858.

Above the Altar the East Window was described in 1860 as, “One of the best pieces of modern art in the Diocese.  It depicts Jesus at his Nativity, Crucifixion,  Resurrection and  Ascension.  It was given by John Ward who lived in the old Rectory in 1860.

On the south wall of the chancel is a stained glass window erected by Eliza Cookson in memory of  her parents.  It represents the lady at the well, “Whoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst.”

The Lady Chapel Altar in the south aisle was given in 1954 with the High Altar carpet and the St Andrew’s altar curtains by our Churchwarden, Mr O. G. Baker, late of the Manor House.  The stained window is a memorial to Mr W. B. Roberts whose family lived in Folkingham for over a century.

The Chest has two compartments for Peter’s pence abolished in 1534 and for vestments and records in the time before vestries were built.  The Church Registers go back to 1583 and include memoranda such as these:   “an excommunication against Edward Deedes a soulder under the late Userper Cromwell, billeted in this parish”  “1746 no marriages this year,  -the Ladies were very unfortunate, and it is feared some might leave this world without tasting the sweets of matrimony”.