The magnificent 14th Century Nave has fine pillars, and if you look up there are some interesting carved heads. In the days of the Beaumonts, the Nave would have been enriched with colourful wall paintings and the windows filled with stained glass. To the left is a window with ancient glass showing three golden haired heads. James II’s dragoons were said to have lodged in the church at the time of Oliver Cromwell.
In 1858 the Nave roof, pews and pulpit were replaced at great cost to the rate payers. A severe gale had brought down the North wall and twisted the octagonal Nave pillar. The North aisle was restored, and the door to the rood stairs was blocked off.
On the North aisle where St. Luke is depicted in the middle of the stained glass window. This window commemorates John Bailey Grewcock, a physician and his wife Bridget Sarah.
The British Legion Shrine was erected in 1958 There is a Roll of Honour naming all those parishioners who served in H.M. Forces during the two World Wars. Nine of them gave their lives.
The Ceilings of the Aisles are panelled and decorated with cross ribbing and carved bosses. They were designed in 1860 by Edward Browning of Stamford, whose father built the gatehouse to the House of Correction.
At the St Andrew’s Altar, there is a 17th century table which served as High Altar until 1900.
There is a copy of a Van Eyck triptych given by Mrs. Howard Leech in memory of her husband. The original of the “Adoration of the Lamb”, is displayed in St. Bavon in Ghent.
Past the Pulpit the Rood Screen dates from the 14th century and was once decorated with the saints and a fox with a goose in its mouth symbolising the devil capturing a soul.
The Chancel was built of ironstone and was restored in 1825. The fronts of the Choir Stalls were the bench ends of the 15th century seats in the Nave.