Home.
House of
Correction
The House of Correction sits on the location of the old castle on the Billingborough road. The 19th century Gatehouse is the only part of the original prison left still standing and is used by English Heritage as a holiday let . It replaced an earlier prison in use from 1609 until 1808 located on the east side of the market square which is now private housing. Trials were held in the assembly rooms at the Greyhound Inn where offenders of any sex or age, who had committed petty crimes were tried. Conditions were extremely bad and punishment harsh. The combined stocks and whipping post used for punishment can still be seen in the church 
More.