The House of Correction
The first House of Correction (1609 -
The second House of Correction (1808 -
Inscriptions" Building accounts show they estimated £2,862 in 1807 and by 1825 when the building was enlarged it totalled £8,299.5s.3d. With the erection of a treadmill a further £250. The architect charged £457.12s. for his
In 1849 twenty cells were added and in 1852 a west wing was built this Accommodated
70 prisoners and staff. The treatment of prisoners was organised on "sharp shock"
lines, especially in the case of criminals. When sentenced to less than one month,
prisoners slept on a bed of wooden planks without a mattress. Those sentenced for
longer still slept on a plank bed and were given a mattress after one month. Felons
doing hard labour were allowed no visitors for the first three months of their sentence.
Only bread and gruel were provided for any person serving under seven days, those
serving between seven and twenty-
The House of Correction finally closed as a prison in 1878. in 1880 the outer walls were pulled down and the building turned into
cottages and by the 1960s the cottages were declared unfit and demolished and all that remains is the gatehouse which is owned by the Landmark Trust.
Compiled by John Shave