THE 20th CENTURY
John Joseph Baker purchased the Manor House with its farmland from Thomas Heathcote and on his death in 1949 it passed to his son, Oliver George Baker. Eighteen years later an architect, John Howard Leech, acquired the house for £5000 and spent a great deal of time and money in carefully restoring it. In 1984 its ownership passed to Duncan Alexander Lingard, a timber merchant, who in turn sold it to Ian Grant on his return from Brazil. The present owners purchased The Manor House in 2000. They have no claim to fame, but interestingly their lives lightly touched the history for Howard Carr’s pre-college farming year was spent on a Clinton Estate dairy farm in East Devon, in the 1990s he was a Director of the successor to the East India Company, and his eldest brother was Chairman of Governors at Westminster School.
‘At ‘At the bottom on the right is the Manor House, a Restoration type of house, though the doorway suggests an early 18th Century date. Yet the windows are still of two lights, mullioned, with straight entablature, and the roof is still steeply hipped. Three storey porch with top pediment. The best rooms are at piano mobile level.’ Nikolaus Pevsner Buildings of England 1964
(With thanks to Marjorie Carr)